Marriage Public Policy Statement
Marriage is a virtually universal institution, part of God’s original design for humankind:
- God created each living being ‘after its kind’(Gen. 1:21-25);
- God created humankind ‘in His own image’; ‘male and female He created them’ (Gen. 1:27);
- God said it was not good for man to be alone (Gen. 2:18);
- God ordained the unique male-female relationship. (Gen. 2:23-24).
Based on scripture, CMDA believes that Christian marriage is:
- a relationship of one man and one woman, joined together as one flesh* (Gen. 2:24);
- an exclusive covenant, ordained and sealed by God (Mark 10:6-9);
- preceded by a public leaving of parents (Gen. 2:24);
- a lifelong, mutually supportive, loving and sacrificial partnership (I Cor. 11:11; I Peter 3:1-8);
- often crowned by the gift of children (Psalm 127:3-5).
- Jesus affirmed (Matt. 19:4-6) and blessed (John 2:1-11) marriage;
- Marriage is illustrative of Christ’s own self-giving abandonment to His bride, the church (Eph. 5:21-33);
- Marriage is seen as holy and sacred and is used as a symbol of our union with Christ at the advent of the New Heaven and New Earth (Rev. 19:7-8; 21:9-10).
We rejoice that marriage is given by God, blessed by our Lord Jesus Christ, and sustained by the Holy Spirit.
adopted unanimously by the CMDA Board of Trustees, September 18, 2014